Skip to main content

Walton History

Our History

Walton Middle School first opened its doors on September 14, 1953 and is located southwest Compton and serving 6th - 8th students. The school site has an area of 20 acres. In 1953 the plant together with the site and equipment represented an expenditure of a million dollars.

In addition to academic classrooms and an administrative unit, there are PE locker rooms for both boys and girls, a cafetorium, a library, special rooms for art and science. WMS is named for one of Compton early community leaders, Frank Lincoln Walton (1862-1939).  WMS is one of the eight middle schools in the Compton Unified School District.

  • School Colors: Maroon & Grey
  • School Song: “Stand Up and Cheer”  - Words & Music by William Bennett 

Born on an Illinois farm and coming to Compton in 1885, Frank L. Walton, for whom this school is named, for over half a century was unquestionably Compton’s No.1 civic-minded community builder.

 He helped establish Compton Junior College, as well as furthered every other worthy enterprise through devoted service to the Chamber of Commerce and other civic and business organizations.

Frank L. Walton
Frank L. Walton
History Locker